Re: XHTML as XML

Wouldn't it be great if we could just write "please adhere to the
relevant standards" to the entire Web development community and, poof,
every single site out there would do everything right and nobody would
express a less-than-perfectly-informed statement?

We need supporters. A gentler hand would be able to explain any given
spec and its benefits.

Fortunately, there are quite a few in the W3C and on this list who do
it right. That's why we're winning.

* Ed.

"Jesper Tverskov" <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> 1) First I test if an http accept-header exists. If it does not, as
is
> the case of Google, I use XHTML 1.1 and mime-type
application/xhtml+xml
> and I include the xml declaration at the top of the document.

Google sends an accept header, so your google analysis here is flawed.

> 2) If an http accept-header exists, I test if it contains the string
> "application/xhtml+xml". If it does, as is the case for
Mozilla/Firefox,
> Opera, Amaya, etc. I use XHTML 1.1 and mime-type
application/xhtml+xml
> and I include the xml declaration at the top of the document (same
as
> case 1).

This is incorrect, the presence of application/xhtml+xml in the accept

header does not mean that the user can support that mime-type, please
adhere
to the relevant standards
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html and 3.9

Jim.