Re: 1 webpage != 1 document

On 8/17/05, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> David Woolley wrote:
>
> >>As I see it, the root problem here is that the model of a what webpage
> >>is says that it's one document.  But when did you last see a
> >

> > A web page should be a single document in the sense that you should be
>
> First of all, you need to understand that a "webpage" is rarely the result
> of the interpretation of a single object called "a document instance"...
>
> There are often replaced elements like images, and presentation is often done
> using external CSS rules. Furthermore, one document instance can be styled
> in very different ways, and there's nothing against a browser styling the same
> DOM with different stylesheets. Amaya is able to do that for instance: one DOM,
> multiple windows with different styles.
>
> So your 1 webpage => 1 document is false, and the reverse arrow is false too.
>
> My two eurocents...

All of which misses the point of the original query. This answer was
the equivalent of fixing the grammar of someone's question instead of
just answering their known intention. Yes, images are usually separate
(baring data urls), but that's a forced limitation of this format.

My two cents:

Documents are truly web-based - every part of them. The document is
linked to all sorts of information that is keenly valuable when shown
with it, like navigation, branding and so on. But I believe we
shouldn't pre-link that data, but rather let the client do so to
produce a view so that 1 webpage != 1 document. A webpage at this
point seems to be a collection of related and unrelated data sources
spliced together into a single file. The definition of a document is
harder to get at, but I define it here as a structured collection of
related information with a definitive semantic beginning and end (e.g.
a book beginning and end or a chapter beginning and end as opposed to
the beginning and end of the data).

--

Orion Adrian