A format for packaging (was: CSS: Extended tiling. Proposal)

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Bert Bos wrote:
> > it seems there is a technology missing: maybe browsers should support
> > some format that is in fact a ZIP or TAR of a compound document...
>
> See http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/signed-scripts.html --
> this talks about putting an entire webpage in a signed JAR, but the jar:
> protocol works for any ZIP/JAR file, signed or not, in Mozilla.
>
> It's not a performance winner quite yet due to the way caching of the jar file
> is (not) done, but we're hoping to fix that...

Looks to me that Mozilla should talk to KDE a bit :-) KDE uses the tar
format to store a Web page with its dependent styles, images and scripts.
It uses the extension .war (Web ARchive) and assigns it the unregistered
MIME type application/x-webarchive. The purpose is archiving, not signing,
but those are not incompatible.

Why does Mozilla use a protocol jar:, rather than a MIME type?

Bert

PS. For the anecdote: about five years ago, W3C looked into creating a
working group to define such a packaging format. Some people proposed to
use an existing format (ZIP or TAR) and just specify which file to extract
first, others proposed to define a new XML format instead (remember that
this was at the height of the XML hype), but most of all there wasn't
enough interest...

  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM