Re: Restructuring the Ordered List

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:51:57 +1100, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>    One problem with start is that if an item is inserted in a previous
> list, then the value of the start attribute would need to be updated.
>
>    What may be needed is a way to link the lists together semantically.
>   Perhaps a boolean continue attribute that means this lists continues
> the previous list, or (probably better) an attribute with an ID REF,
> referencing a previous list.

Yes, an ID REF would seem to be the most flexible option.  Then you'd
probably have a little fun with someone referencing an ID that appears
after the list in question, though.

>    Hmm, maybe, though I don't believe it is semantically important
> whether the list is presented as a count-up or count-down list, but I'm
> sure this is debatable.

I would argue that it is.  Often the "latest" entry in a list is of most
interest to a reader, even in an unstyled environment.  Incremental
rendering of backwards lists would no doubt be impossible, though.

--
J. King
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/