Re: Display Properties of Elements

David Hammond wrote:
> I was pretty startled when I saw that XHTML 2.0 introduced two
> versions each of the quote and code elements: one for inline and one
> for block. I don't see why an element's implied display property
> should have anything to do with its symantic value. I feel it's purely
> presentational and the implied display value should only be part of a
> default stylesheet, and not a property of the element itself.

We had this exact discussion last December, that started with the thread
on a suggestion for <blockaddr> and <addr> elements [1], which
eventually turned into a discussion of structure vs semantics [2].

There were several people that agree wholly, in part or not at all, and
others, such as my self that seemed to change minds halfway through :-).
  Right now, I'm leaning towards the side that believes that the
difference is more presentational than semantic, but there are also
various structural concerns to address.

I think I did a reasonable job of summing up the various questions and
attempted to answer some of them in this long post [3], however I
suggest you read (or at least skim) the enitre thread which will give
you a very good insight into the various arguments for and against.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Dec/0003.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Dec/0075.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Dec/0123.html
--