Re: XHTML 2.0 <datetime> element proposal

Only some thoughts: It seems to me that it's at first necessary to see why
and where I need such a <datetime /> element (or anything similar), and I came
to the conclusion that you don't inevitably need it for simple rendering
purposes. -- So I assume that the most common case is the desire for different
displaying, not for more comfortable evaluation opportunities.

So if there are different versions of a document (indicating different
languages), there is no problem to use an alternative date/time scheme on any of
these documents. If there is only one document displaying various language
sets, I question the need for this element, too, because it would neither be a
problem to also use different time formats there, nor would it reduce the
probability for only confusing users (ain't it confusing -- and even not reliable
-- visiting a French site but encountering an American date format)? This
IMO only brings up Usability and Accessibility problems.

Last but not least, I think there is already a sufficient and generic way to
indicate date and time, see Dublin Core [1], although having the same
characteristics as mentioned above (defining normally only one specific format for
an release/update date or period). An user agent might parse this in a user
demanded way, too, like expected from the (preferred?) 'attribute version'.

Better keep the markup simple.

 Jens.

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/date-element/

--