Re: Question: XHTML Tables Module

Le Mardi, 14 octo 2003, à 06:12 America/Montreal, Jens Meiert a écrit :
> After having revised the XHTML 2 WD another time, I again wondered
> about the use of the <th /> element -- wouldn't it be simply enough to
> use the <thead /> element instead surrounding the corresponding table
> cells, which offers enough possibilities to highlight and format the
> table head (via CSS)?

For example imagine you have a very long table with a lot of rows.

thead is made to define a way to have access to the definition of
columns always accessible to the usage.

For example in a visual browsers:

	+---------------+
	| title of cols |
	+---------------+
	|               |
	|               |
	|               |
  +---------------------+
  |	|               |  |
  |	|               |  |    screen zone.
  |	|               |  |    You can't view the full table on your
viewport
  |	|               |  |
  |	|               |  |
  +---------------------+
	|               |
	|               |
	|               |
	+---------------+

With this situation, you loose the context of your columns. you don't
know anymore what does that mean. with a thead you can imagine that the
title of columns become a zone which always appear on your view port so
you have always a reference to the column.

	+---------------+
	| title of cols |
	+---------------+
	|               |
	|               |
	|               |
  +---------------------+
  |	+---------------+  |
  |	| title of cols |  |   Even when you scroll the headers stay
  |	+---------------+  |   visible.
  |	|               |  |
  |	|               |  |
  +---------------------+
	|               |
	|               |
	|               |
	+---------------+

But that's my interpretation. :))))
http://w3c.test.site/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030506/mod-
tables.html#s_tablesmodule
	"""This division enables user agents to support
	scrolling of table bodies independently of the
	table head and foot. When long tables are printed,
	the table head and foot information may be repeated
	on each page that contains table data."""

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***