Re: XHTML2 and metainformation

Robin Lionheart wrote:

> Ernest Cline wrote:
> > Here is a proposal of how to resolve both problems.
> >
> > <ml profile="http://www.dublincore.org">
> >   <mi name="Publisher">DC Comics</mi>
> > </ml>
> > <ml profile="http://www.dccomics.com">
> >   <mi name="Publisher">Karen Berger</mi>
> > </ml>
>
> The HTML 4.0 syntax for setting metadata schemas:
>
> <head profile="http://www.dublincore.org">
> </head>
>
> does have the limitation of not handling multiple profiles. The syntax also
> implies that your "Keywords" and "Description" metas are part of your Dublic
> Core metadata.
>
> Your proposal is better, but I don't think a cryptic two-letter tag like
> <ml> is necessary for such an uncommon element, and we already have <meta>
> so why introduce <mi>?
>
> I propose instead:
>
> <schema profile="http://www.dccomics.com">
> </schema>

I used <mi> instead of <meta> for two reasons.

One was that since I was contrasting my idea with the working draft, I
wished to use a different tag so as to make it clear when I was
referring to what the WD used and when I was referring to my proposal.

The other is that in HTML <meta> is an empty element. Altho the XHTML2
WD changes it to a non-empty element, I feel that it would be better
that if that change is made that the element name be also changed so as
to present one less source of possible confusion for user agents.

Other than that, I really have no preference for what any of the
elements in (X)HTML2 beyond a preference for terseness.