Re: Using RELAX NG in XHTML 2.0

Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> wrote in
news:20030514.194214.78713849.mimasa@w3.org:

> Having said that, the WG would try to approximate intended
> constraints to the extent possible by DTD if people still find
> it useful, but I'm still not convinced that requiring DTD
> validity is a good idea.

I agree. Requiring DTD validity to be a conforming XHTML document
means that we can have two canonically equivalent XHTML documents,
where one is valid (and conforming), and the other is not.

Example:

Document 1:
      xml:lang="en-GB">...</html>

Document 2:
<prefix:html xmlns:prefix="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
             xml:lang="en-GB">...</html>

These are equivalent, but only the first would be valid XHTML 1.0.
And yes, this could be a problem in practice. For example, an XSLT
transformation on two identical source documents could lead to
either of these resulting documents.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
http://blogg.huftis.org/