Re: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft

Karl Dubost wrote:

>>  > Don't two different heading schemes constitute complexity for the
>>
>>>  authors?
>>

>> Yes.  Hence my suggestion to place them in a separate module.  Then that
>> module as a whole can be deprecated.  We can even group all the
>> deprecated
>> modules together so people know what is still supported, but should be
>> avoided in lieu of new & better solutions.
>

> I would like that the XHTML 2.0 spec address  also the authoring
> tools, which is almost not done at all. The problem right now is that
> in each feature which are developed, we often think in terms of User
> Agents (browsers) and never in terms of :
>     Authoring Tools
>     Third party software
>
> In each discussion we should also identify:
>     - Web Developer
>     - Common User
>
> They are definitely not the same and have different behaviour in their
> using of HTML.

Hmm, the way I see it HTML 4.01 has not been deprecated in any sense nor
will it be within a reasonable time lapse of XHTML 2.0 being completed.
HTML and XHTML 1.0 will still be around for a long time, and the only
reason I see people using XHTML currently is as a novelty. I have heard
some argue that HTML/XHTML1 will always have a niche that XHTML2 will
not satisfy and I don't think anyone would argue that once XHTML2 is out
the W3C will simply erase the older DTDs. My long-winded point is,
people who want the functionality, ease of use etc. of HTML should stick
to HTML -- it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

> * The case of h1 to h6 versus h
>
> They have never been used correctly, except a small group of "strict"
> people who cares about the semantic meaning of elements. This group
> will be the same group of people who will accept h/section (except a
> few exceptions).
>
> The other group which doesn't care will continue, they will still
> misuse or at least they will not know. Because in a user scenario
> case. They will create a section, like they do in word processing
> software and type their text. The thing which is behind is just a
> piece of code they don't see.

Agreed, I believe that h1...h6 should be atleast deprecated in XHTML 2.0
and possibly removed in a XHTML 2.1 if there will be such animal.
h1...h6 are, in my opinion, in their nature contradictory to XHTML; let
us not forget that the 'X' stands for extensible.

-Andy