Re: XHTML2 MIME type

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 04:02  PM, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> If you *regularly* use the alpha character, it's ~no more
> difficult to remember α than α[1].
>
> And, if you *don't* regularly use the alpha character, you would
> have to look it up anyway.

Not quite. I can remember Α, it sticks in my hand whereas α
does not, for obvious reasons. i don't use non-ascii references often,
but when I do, entities named &rdquot; and — are much easier to
recall without looking up a reference than a numberical entity.

I don't think an argument can be made that the character references
aren't at least somewhat useful for people who handwrite their code,
and additionally, they make it far easier for a novice to read code.
have you ever tried teaching an HTML beginner to type numerical
character references?

-chason