Re: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft

John Lewis wrote:
> fantasai wrote on Friday, May 9, 2003 at 4:56:08 AM:
>
>>kelvSYC wrote:
>
>>>strong Element:
>>>It's semantically identical to the em element. Remove it.
>
>>It's not identical. The emphasis is stronger in <strong>.
>
> Nested em elements can accomplish the same thing where needed (with
> only one added character in length), rendering the strong element
> basically useless. Style sheets can be used to suggest presentation as
> needed.

Roughly speaking, yes. But there are subtler distinctions you can't capture
with just emphasis and more emphasis. Also, nested emphasis doesn't quite
mean the same thing as strong. I'd style nested emphasis like this:
    em {font-style: italic}
    em em {font-style: normal}

But I'd style strong as
    strong {font-weight: bold}