Re: xhtml and javascript

--- Tom Gilder <tom@tom.me.uk> wrote:

> On Saturday, June 28, 2003, 10:18:11 PM, Ian Hickson
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Tom Gilder wrote:
> > > You could of course use the DOM to generate the
> checkbox, but you'd
> > > have to wait for onload to fire, which is a bad
> thing
> >
> > You shouldn't need to:

> >    <script type="application/x-javascript">
> >      var element =
> document.createElement('INPUT');

document.getElementById('hook').appendChild(element);
> >    </script>
>
> That should work, yes, but sadly IE/win is extremely
> buggy (and I
> think I had problems with another browser at some
> point too, but my
> mind has gone blank) with modifying the DOM before
> it's all loaded.
> Often it comes up with "unknown runtime error" or
> just stops loading
> the document full stop.
>
> It's *much* safer in my experience to use
> document.write (when using
> HTML, anyway). Using DOM to generate a lot of
> content can also get
> extraordinarily messy after a while.

Bugginess of one browser isn't exactly a good reason
not to improve ! Remember NN4 was a disaster with CSS
but CSS 2 was designed anyway :-) The fact IE is used
by so many people isn't relevant

The fact IE doesn't support everything of CSS 2, DOM
(especially DOM 2), any xhtml, ... is more than enough
reason to say the browser is far from completed but...
the MS people think differently.
Let's hope the statement IE is "finished" was a joke ...