Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

On 6/26/03 6:57 AM, "Brian Bober" <netdemonz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Isn't IE for Mac being canned, though?

My understanding of the announcements is that there will be no more major
revisions to a stand-alone IE period (on any platform).

> I guess they will still continue to use
> tasman for MSN?

Yes.

> I'm not trying to brag, but Microsoft could learn a bit from Mozilla having
> the same codebase on every platform.

It's not as black and white as you put it.  Having a separate codebase
allowed Tasman to develop at much faster speed (than either IE/Windows or
Mozilla), and thus IE5/Mac shipped in March of 2000, with standards support
far ahead of any other browser (including Mozilla, whose NS6 release weeks
later merely proved my point, since reviews universally panned NS6 in
comparison to IE5/Mac), which was also confirmed in numerous reviews.

Also, IE6/Windows benefited from many of the innovations that Tasman was
able to make since it was a separate code base that could attempt solving
problems that were deemed risky or even impossible (e.g. fixing the box
model, DOCTYPE switching etc.), solutions that were also copied by Mozilla
(and other browsers) for that matter.

So there are advantages/disadvantages with either approach.

> --- Asbj?rn_Ulsberg <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no> wrote:
>>
>> Tantek ?elik wrote:
>>
>>> Note that Internet Explorer for Macintosh behaves properly
>>> in this regard since version 5 released in March of 2000,
>>> that is, only displaying the 'title' attribute in tooltips,
>>> and NOT displaying the 'alt' attribute in tooltips.
>>
>> Ok. Nice to know. This points out the extreme stupidity of
>> having two seperate developing teams working on IE for Mac
>> and IE for Windows.

So you are saying it would have been less stupid to simply port IE for
Windows to the Mac (which is what would have happened with only one team),
and then have it also incorrectly display 'alt' attributes in tooltips
rather than have it actually behave correctly?  Please recheck your logic.

Thanks,

Tantek