Re: Accesskey in XHTML 2

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:31:06 +0200, Jesper Tverskov
<jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk> wrote:

> If great browsers like Internet Explorer implement a feature like "Find
> As You Type", and boils it down to the essentials: links and first
> letter, most websites would not need access keys for anything, saving web
> page authors for a lot of time and trouble.

You are suggesting that an alternate access mechanism, like accesskeys,
would work well as an implicit mechanism, like TypeAhead find in Mozilla.
The problem with this (and even the current accesskey implementation) is
that such mechanisms only work on the premise that there is a normal
keyboard present. I can envision several scenarios where having quick
access to certain page elements, where there is no normal keyboard present.
Two examples:

- Keypad/joystick interfaces, as on mobile phones
- Voice interfaces

--
Arve Bersvendsen

http://www.virtuelvis.com