Re: The HTML Element

Arthur Wiebe wrote:

> I propose that since XHTML is XHTML not HTML, that we change the <html>
> element to something that would make more sense.

As far as I'm concerned (very generally speaking of course) XHTML *is*
HTML; the obvious difference being that it's extensible. It's still
hypertext, it's still a markup language. Unless it becomes proposed that
UA's distinguish HTML from XHTML via the root element, I see no reason
to change it other than for the novelty of it. It will, in my humble
opinion, just create unnecessary confusion unless like I mentioned it
actually serves a purpose.

> Why not change it to something like <xhtml>? Or if someone can't stand
> that extra letter then we could also change it to <root>?

No, if it were to be changed at all, <xhtml> would be the way to go.
<root> is *far* too general.

-Andy