Re: The HTML Element

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: The HTML Element

> > XHTML 1.0 has to use html to allow HTML user agents to use it.
>
> XHTML2 has no such limitation and could very well use "xhtml" as the
> root element GI.

I would argue that changing the root element to "xhtml" for XHTML 2.0 would
be an excellent idea, because it would help to discourage authors from
writing a mixture of HTML and XHTML 2.0. Such hybrid documents would be that
last thing we would want, as it would most likey lead to user agents that
would try to make sense of them. I see XHTML 2.0 very much as an alternative
to XHTML 1.0, indeed I would consider renaming it to avoid confusion. How
about HXML or HTXML or AML (as Jeffrey Zeldman suggested)?

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net