Re: Bottom-up Sections

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:27:04PM +0300, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
> I think we need to understand the problem better before trying to
> decide the right answer.

  It can never be false to better understand a problem.

>                          Do you really think that those "boxes"
> aren't *logically* part of containing section.

  Then, let's separate the problem of elements, which might
  be considered "out-of-flow/section". So I do not address such
  "boxes" anymore with the suggestion.

>       After saying that, if you're repeating work already done by
> somebody else, what's the problem with marking up the proof as
> blockquote and styling it to look like proofs traditionally look in
> such articles?

  OK, but the cases where I write a proof/exercise/picture/table/
  example/definition/remark/whatever of my own are still left, where
  XHTML 2 now has decided to give special support to definitions only,
  but not to other types of speech and also only for definitions
  within lists of definitions.

**

  I became aware of possible modifications to my original suggestion:

  Instead of a new "contents" element type, of course, the "p" element
  type should be reused, and also the "h" element type should be used
  instead of "title", so I now suggest to use, e.g.,

    <bos isa="FAQ-entry">
      <h role="question">What is a Flower?</h>
    </bos>

  (Even the "bos" might be replaced by "section" if one specifies that
  the section is considered "bottom-up" once it has an isa-attribute.)

  The "h" element might be omitted, so that a sequence of paragraphs
  can be marked as a proof just by

    <bos isa="proof">
    </bos>

  (Rendition software [user agents] might decide to number proofs
  or create tables of proofs or so.)
--
http://purl.net/stefan_ram/