[XHTML2] Abandon DTD? (was Re: <meta> anywhere)

[ personal opinion ]

"Daniel Brockman" <daniel@brockman.nu> wrote:

> As I understand it, XHTML2 will abandon DTDs in favour of schemas. (Can
> someone confirm/deny, please?)

I'm not aware of any concrete plan to completely abandon DTDs in XHTML 2.0.
It has always been the Working Group's position to provide multiple
schema implementations, including DTD.  Whether it should be normative
or not is highly debatable.

That said, more and more issues make it rather impractical to use DTD -
accommodating RDF/XML is a notable example.  The RDF in XHTML Task
Force [1] will remain stuck, unless we give up DTD or give up RDF/XML.

I would say it's up to the community.  So long as there are enough
people who still want DTD, the WG would strive to provide something.
On the other hand if few people need it, it could be dropped.  If
anyone has strong opinion on this issue, please speak up.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org