Re: <meta> anywhere (was Re: [XHTML2] meta attribute)

On 2003-08-01T00:22:26+02:00 "Tantek Ç" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Interesting idea.  How about simply allowing a single optional <meta> (which
> could then contain any number of additional <meta>) to be inside any element
> (with default styling of {display:none} of course) so that the metadata
> could be optionally neatly bundled with the specific parts of a webpage?
> E.g. using your example:

> <head>
>   <!-- the following is meta data about the entire page -->
> </head>

>     Het volgende citaat vind ik best wel leuk:
>      <!-- and the following only about the quote -->
>       The most beautiful thing in Tokyo is McDonald's.
>       The most beautiful thing in Stockholm is McDonald's.
>       The most beautiful thing in Florence is McDonald's.
>       Pecking and Moscow don't have anything beautiful yet.

This is endeed a better way to do it. I still had the problem of how are we going to tell that a specific meta data is meta about the entire page. Just saying that if a meta element doesn't have an id that it gives information about the entire page, or also having to give it an id an using the meta attribute with the html element to make it clear which meta is about the entire page (by example: <html meta="#rootmeta" ... />. But in the way you propose the problem doesn't exist anymore.

> This would also make it unnecessary to have a separate 'meta' attribute,
> since you could use <meta src=""> to reference a (perhaps common) block of
> meta information in the <head>, e.g., again using your example:

> <head>
>   <!-- the following is meta data about the entire page -->
>   <!-- and the following only about the quote -->
> </head>

>     Het volgende citaat vind ik best wel leuk:
>       The most beautiful thing in Tokyo is McDonald's.
>       The most beautiful thing in Stockholm is McDonald's.
>       The most beautiful thing in Florence is McDonald's.
>       Pecking and Moscow don't have anything beautiful yet.

Would it then also be possible to create a 'meta-file'? using a src by example: <meta src="mymetafile.meta#AndyQuote" />
Or is that where RDF is for?

Kind Regards,
Jeroen

<Greetz