Re: lines and XHTML2

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2003 20:05 schrieb Ernest Cline:
> is likely to cause too much markup as to be practical, and those that
> feel that there needs to be some conatining element that represents
> that here is data where the line content is important.
>
> Might I suggest as a compromise, an element similar to <pre> called
> <lines>?  <lines> would indicate that the linefeed characters are
> significant as they break the content into lines. As far as visual
> presentation is concerned <lines> would be the same as <div
> class="lines"> with the following CSS3:
>   .lines {white-space: pre-line}
>
> This would serve all needs except for those cases where markup is used
> on individual lines for other purposes such as to facilitate the
> styling or scripting of individual lines. Such cases would in my
> opinion be rare and could be indicated via other markup such as:
>       Line 3</span>
>       Line        4
>
> For which a default vusual rendering would be:
> Line 1
> Line 2
> Line 3
> Line 4
> Line 5

I'm against it.
In the way you described I can't do ...
    <l>public class Hello {</l>
    <l>    public static void main(String[] args) {</l>
    <l>        System.out.println("hello, world");</l>
    <l>    }</l>
    <l>}</l>

... and combine that with aotumatic numbering using CSS:

p.code {
    counter-reset:line;
}
p.code > l:before {
    counter-increment:line;
    content:counter(line);
}

I'm strictly against changing the <l/> element the way it is.
I propose some clearification about that an <l/> element may itself be wrapped
across multiple lines if the width of the viewbox is too small to render the
<l/> element's contents in a single line.
And: if <l/> is defined as a line break before and after and it is part of the
inline content model, one still might abuse <l/> in a way that it's just
replacing <br/>:
    Some text <l/> Some text
Would then break at <l/>. I want to state that I'd consider that somewhat
abuse of <l/>. But that's still more convenient than adding Inline to the
content model of <br/>:

Greetz
- --
ITCQIS GmbH