Re: more xhtml 2.0 comments

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 15. April 2003 11:53 schrieb Daniel Glazman:
> Christoph Päper wrote:
> >>22. I am still completely opposed to the l element.
> >>    The manipulation of this element in wysiwyg editors will
> >>    be too hard in comparison with the existing <br> in HTML4.
> >
> > OTOH the manipulation via DOM and CSS is much easier. What's more
> > important?
>
> (a) the l element is purely presentational: it _is_ a line. It's not less
>      presentational than <br/>.
<address>
    <l>name</l>
    <l>street</l>
    <l>city</l>
    <l>zip</l>
    <l>country</>
</address>

> (b) it is useful only when you have a list of adjacent lines. So it's
> basically a list (ul/ol) with list items (li) having no marker and no
> wrapping.
Yes.

> (c) using ul/ol/li instead of l makes it MUCH easier to number
> lines since you have a known container to reset the numbering.
Yes, but that's not an argument against <l/> in general, only in some
particular places. Still I consider <l/> more appropriate in many of these
cases than <li/>. Imagine I want to number lines of code. I'd really prefer
    <l>public class Hello {</l>
    <l>    public static void main(String[] args) {</l>
    <l>        System.out.println("hello, world");</l>
    <l>    }</l>
    <l>}</l>
very much over the variant using <li/> because I'd consider the latter one as
abuse of <li/>. And the container required can always be generated using a
class.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH