Re: 'acronym' semantics

Christian wrote on Thursday, April 10, 2003 at 9:06:49 AM:

> Is XML an acronym or not? At least it is a name of a language. Some
> say it is (I'd also say that), and some say it isn't.

That's (mostly) irrelevant to XHTML2. It's an issue authors should
deal with as they wish. If you think XML is an acronym, mark it up as
such. If not, don't. Who is right doesn't matter for the language
itself; that's an issue for authors.

The only problem is in defining the meaning of the attribute values,
in which case the most common definition probably should be suggested.
(If anything at all; I'm not yet convinced that defining the terms
would benefit more than confuse and upset people who adamantly
disagree. Since they aren't element names, being vague may not be a
terrible idea if the values are adopted.)

--
John Lewis