Re: [XHTML2] Unicode line and paragraph separators

Ernest Cline wrote:

> And why does (X)HTML need to know whether something is inside of a
> paragraph or not?

Because the whole *point* of using markup is to know the structure of
the document. Since paragraph is the most basic structural unit of prose
composition, XHTML needs to know whether something is inside a paragraph.

 > The main use of <p> in current (X)HTML practice is to apply styling to
 > paragraphs. As that is purely a presentational issue,

The main use of <p> is to denote a paragraph. The main purpose of
applying styling is to make that designation obvious to the reader.
Whether the paragraph is indented on the first line or given a
margin of 1em is a purely presentational issue. Whether a given
block of text constitutes a paragraph is a structural one.

> I repeat my earlier query: Is there somewhere a representative set of
> current (X)HTML pages that could be used to make such a determination
> of how often the <p> element is used for reasons in addition to
> breaking text up into paragraphs?

Go to http://www.google.com and type in something random.

~fantasai