Re: Comments on HLink

From: "Bill Daly" <billdalynj@yahoo.com>

> Let's say I was currently looking to have a resource
> load in a new window when it's clicked, and all these
> links also have the class "external" associated with
> them for some CSS styling.  Right now, I'd use code
> like:
>
> <a class="external" href="http://www.w3.org"
> onclick="window.open('http://www.w3.org')">W3 Site</a>

You are apparently unaware of the target attribute:

    <a class="external" href="http://www.w3.org/" target="_blank">W3C
Site</a>

> XLink, although I'm not completely familiar with its
> syntax, I believe would have the above link looking
> something like the following:
>
> <a class="external" xlink:href="http://www.w3.org"
> xlink:show="new">W3 site</a>
>
> A little better, a little worse, depending on how you
> look at it.

About the same, I think.

> As far as I can see from the Hlink Draft, it would
> still be done the first way in HLink, as there would
> be no real way of associating an hlink with only that
> particular <a> element in the document, only the <a>
> element in general.

Sure: HLink can assign an effect to an attribute, which you can put on an
element.

> The power of HLink would, in my opinion, be greatly
> expanded by two new attributes, "class" and "idref"
> (better name than idref perhaps?).  Then in a document
> with many external links, an hlink element in the head
> could be used to make all <a> elements with
> class="external" open in a new window.

HLink was designed for defining namespaces rather than document instances.
I will record your suggestion as an issue.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton