From: "Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 11:19 AM
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Preload for <section>

	Richard Norman wrote:

	> The <q> renamed to <quote>:
>
> I think this is a good thing in that it makes it more clear what is
> being defined.  The argument about the table elements was brought up,
> but in my experiences <tr> and <td> was very non descriptive.  If you
> very straight forward for someone to understand.  Yes you could learn
> what TR and TD meant, but if the purpose is to be more descriptive for

> what the content is then we should consider this as well.

	That was my pretty much my point.  We *could* do a wholescale
renaming
of elements.  <ul> could become <list type="unordered">, and so on (tr,
td, ol, dl ...), to be more "self evident" to someone who had never seen

HTML before.

	But the WG doesn't appear to have done that except in one case:
<q> to
<quote>.  I think they should take one approach or the other: wholescale

renaming, or keep the same names.  I can see many good reasons for the
former, but I actually favor the latter.  There are too many other
issues on the table (like whether XHTML 2 will ever see the light of
day, considering current "requirements" being shoved on it ... :)

	> That is my basic two cents on this issue, but I love the
direction
> where everything is going.  I just need more time to understand
> where things like the <center> tag and the align attribute are
> replaced in CSS.

	?  If you've been authoring in HTML 4.x Strict or XHTML 1.0
Strict,
you'll have *already* been using CSS in lieu of <center> and align.
XHTML 2 doesn't change that.

	/Jelks

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any one or make copies.