Re: a new value for <title> and other meta tags

Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:
> My proposal is:
>
> If I write this code

>     <head>
>     </head>

>         <title>Lorenzo De Tomasi</title>
>
> every browser write "Lorenzo De Tomasi" as the title of the window and as
> text in the body. The advantage is that I must write it only one time.
> The same may be done with each meta, like author, description, copyright,
> etc.
> Web designers have not to past and copy dubled text, xhtml code is shorter
> and the file size is smaller. I think it's also more intuitive.
> This can be very useful for documents that must explicit these data, like
> documents under GPL or OpenDoc licenses.
>
> What happens with RDF? can we integrate these two ways? RDF for meta
> informations and this proposal for explicit data written as text in the
> body...
>
> What do you think?

I think that title element should be allowed anywhere in the body and it
should probably have |display: inline| by default. Perhaps something
like this:

<section>
   <section>
     <section>
     <h>Yet another header but this time without a title element</h>
     <section>
   </section>
</section>

The idea is that title element would mark new document title for that
part of the document. Browser should change window title bar text
according to scrolling position so that the title would reflect to
currently viewed portion of the whole document. Another nice addition
would be to define that if the head element contained title element too
it would be used *in addition* to the title defined in the body. The
exact way to express both those titles should be user agent specific.
For example, I'd probably want to use "The title defined in the head --
the title defined in the body - Mozilla ID: 20020822". This way
bookmarking a specific part of a document could get better title by
default too.

--
Mikko