Re: OL needs the start attribute

David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > I would think not. From the point of view of HTML and ordered lists, it
> > couldn't be less important how the items are called. With a structured
>
> The problem that HTML has in this area is that it is being used to make
> legal documents, particularly national legislation, accessible, and these
> use use section and paragraph numbers as their "hyperlinks".  Unfortunately,
> the nature of legal documents is that you cannot safely change their
> appearence in this respect, so section 3a(4) has to remain that, not
> become blue underlined "Use of HTML in Legal Documents".

One of the most compelling examples to go by here on this.

List item labels are *part of content*.  It is a separate question how
an author undertakes to generate those identifiers, but CSS should not
be part of it.

> Using something like DOCBOOK    . . .
>       .  .  .   destroys the accessibility.

It's off topic here, but I disagree that DocBook source is
inaccessible.  Whether a given individual has reasonable means to
access it depends on whether the individual has Norman Walsh's
[http://docbook.sourceforge.net/] free style sheets or something
equivalent.

                                    -- Bill