Re: OL needs the start attribute

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:22:06 +0200, Michal Marek <michal83@email.cz> wrote:

>> On a related theme, is there any likelihood
>> of being able to use decimal/Dewey-style
>> numbering in the foreseeable future, as in
>>  1
>>  1.1
>>  1.1.1
>>  1.1.2

> Theoretically, it can be dome by the generated content module of CSS2,
> see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html
> but I think there is no browser supporting it.

Opera and SomeOtherBrowser support this. In practice this is less flexible
than it should have been due to the lack of the ::marker pseudo-element,
introduced in CSS3 Lists [1].

> Againg, this is another thing, which probably should be available in the "content"
> domain. (It would be at least easier to implement in UAs)

I tend to disagree, if for nothing else due to the variety of strings that
authors would want to express. Unlike start/value there is no actual
information that is lost if the list is unstyled. -- Jonny Axelsson,
Web Standards,
Opera Software