Re: XHTML Media Types Note published

"Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:

> In the Summary table, 3.5
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020430
>
> It has text.html and HTML 4. as MAY - why is that not SHOULD?

Probably it would have been better to use SHOULD.  Thanks for pointing
this out.

> Will the current w3.org XHTML 1.1 documents currently being served as
> text/html be moved over to application/xhtml+xml now?

It depends.  Documents under certain parts of the W3C Web site, such as
under /TR, are not allowed to change once those are published.  So while
we might publish new edition of them in the future and those might use
application/xhtml+xml, old documents will remain as is for the historical
record.

The purpose of this Note is not to punish past practice, but to recommend
future practice based on those past experience.  We do recommend to serve
XHTML 1.1 documents as application/xhtml+xml for future publication.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium