Re: a new value for <title> and other meta tags

Joanne Hunter wrote:

>The following text was discovered Friday 23 August 2002 in a note
>attributed to one "Gabriele Fava <gabriele.fava@tiscalinet.it>":
>

>>CSS should not modify the page contents. CSS means Cascading *Style
>>Sheets*; it is intended to separate presentation from structure, it's
>>not tolerable the possibility to wreck a document changing or disabling
>>its style sheet. These tasks can be easily and gracefully performed by
>>server-side scripts or, for particular needings, by client-side
>>ECMAScript. I think that also several uses for :after and :before, how
>>handy soever they may be, should be performed by scripts.
>>

>I disagree. Text can be added that is intended only for static presentation
>(such as the pseudo-XHTML code I put on my personal site - it isn't
>meaningful content; its only purpose is to simulate the look of a raw HTML
>document); this would be within the realm of stylesheets. A script would be
>overkill for such a purpose - the pseudo-XHTML isn't going to dynamically
>change based on user interaction.
>
>Of course, this makes pseudoclasses like :hover into gray areas...

I've seen your site. I don't think you'll be offended if I tell you that
you're the maddest css coder that I've ever seen %-)

Anyway I didn't mean to say that :after and :before should absolutely in
any case not be used. Actually I ill expressed myself; speaking of "page
contents" I meant the meaningful content. Clearly your "pseudo-tags" are
not meaningful content, and it's just as well that you use style sheets,
so that one can disable them; it is not so good in accessibility,
because before one using a screen reader can notice that it's just a css
trick it would probably leave the page, but I guess you did not intend
to put accessibility on the first place when you wrote that pages.

Lorenzo's proposals are very different from what you devised in your
site. Using style sheets to accomplish them you would modify the
document structure and meaningful content.