Re: In support of the "line space" (nee <hr>)

Fantasai wrote:

> This is not always the case. In less formal writing, such as novels
> and newspaper articles, section breaks exist where the two sections
> are not always clearly defined. Sometimes the text immediately below

Typically this is a presentational, rather than a structural device.  The
headings aren't really there to convey information, but rather to break up
a long column visually.  As such, they would seem only really suitable for
final form page description languages, like PDF, as their placement can
only really be done in terms of the final page layout.  (A similar tactic, on
more expensive productions, is to include decorative images.)

I'd suggest that, if still wanted, in an HTML document they should be
CSS generated content, although even that means adding bogus
structure, at least in the form of class attributes corresponding to the
insertions.  (Can you generate block level content?)

I think newspapers almost always use them arbitrarily, although novels
may use them in a half presentational, hafl structural, manner, which might
be taking HTML beyond its aims of being simple.