Re: The X in HTML

Joanne Hunter wrote:

[snip]

> This sounds to me like a little creative XSLT, except whether or not the
> syntax to such is simple and/or easily understood is kind of debatable.
> http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/

Yes, it may well be.  However, there are fairly obvious barriers to
the widespread adoption of XSLT, which we could attempt to break
down.  It seems to me that if XSLT is to form the framework
(or "infrastructure") of my proposal, then we need to address
two issues :

	1) What would be the implementation effort required
	   for the next generation of browsers to support
	   XSLT, what processing overheads would XSLT add,
	   and once these are known, what is the probability
	   that the major browser creators would be willing to
	   invest the necessary effort ?

and
	2) What would be the intellectual investment required
	   for A.Web-Author to learn how to define his or her
	   own tags using XSLT syntax, and once this is known,
	   what percentage of (say) those currently arguing on
	   this list for particular tags/attributes to be added
	   to XHTML would be willing to accept a minimal set of
	   tags and to use XSLT to define their own ?

Philip Taylor, RHBNC