Re: a new value for <title> and other meta tags

Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:
> I have a proposal for the tag <title>.
> The actual situation is
>
> 1. If I write this code

>     <head>
>         <title>Lorenzo De Tomasi</title>
>     </head>
>
> both the browsers MSIE and Netscape write "Lorenzo De Tomasi" as the title
> of the window
>
> 2. If I want that the same title is written in the page I have to rewrite it
> in the body

>     <head>
>         <title>Lorenzo De Tomasi</title>
>     </head>

>         <h>Lorenzo De Tomasi</h>

<snip />

> My proposal is:
>
> If I write this code

>     <head>
>     </head>

>         <title>Lorenzo De Tomasi</title>
>
> every browser write "Lorenzo De Tomasi" as the title of the window and as
> text in the body. The advantage is that I must write it only one time.
> The same may be done with each meta, like author, description, copyright,
> etc.

<title> and <h> need not contain the same data.  What if the author
wants to place different information in each?

I like the idea of displaying some metadata, though.  What if it were
possible to "call" the contents of meta tags and link tags as desired,
so you could have:

Then somewhere in the body:

   <use type="meta" src="description" />

But that probably goes a bit beyond the scope of HTML.

<snip />

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999