XHTML2, RDF, Xlink and namespace URLs [Was: Re: XHTML 2.0 - no interest in RDF/XML?]

Hi

On Wed 14-Aug-2002 at 06:04:44 +0900, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> > Art.Barstow@nokia.com wrote:
> >
> > Given the W3C's huge investment in the RDF metadata framework, why
> > does the Metainformation Module in the 2002-08-05 WD of XHTML 2.0
> > not accommodate (or at least mention) the XML serialization of RDF?
>
> If you can show us a feasible proposal, I would be interested in
> looking at it.

I wish I could suggest a feasible proposal but all I can offer on this
is an observation that several issues might be able to be solved in one
go:

1. How to do RDF in (X)HTML has been a issue for debate on many lists
   for several years, just try searching for it on Google [1].

2. These appears to be a desire in the (X)HTML community to have
   hyperlinks in XHTML2 that can do everything that can be done in XHTML
   1.x and more and this seems to be at odds with the use of Xlink.

3. There is the open TAG issue [2] of what goes at the end of a
   namespace URI, RDDL which involves using Xlink in XHTML to allow RDF
   statements to be extracted seems to be (to me) the best option so far.

It appears to me that an answer to all these issues could be a
hyperlinking syntax in XHTML2 that allows all the following things to be
done and provides a document standard that can be used to answer the
namespace riddle:

a) Enables RDF triples to be extracted from the hyperlinks.

b) Enables Xlink links to be extracted from the hyperlinks.

c) Enables XHTML1.x links to be extracted from the hyperlinks.

If it is done this way around then there would be no need to use RDF or
Xlink in XHTML2 since there could be a standard XSLT method for
generating these things (and more, no need for scraping HTML for RSS
feeds!) from XHTML2.

Just a thought, I have no idea of what the syntax might look like :-)

Chris

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=RDF+in+XHTML

[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#namespaceDocument-8

--