Re: RE: XHTML2: Elements to include and not to include (i and b)

13.8.2002 6:46:27 "James Craig" <james@cookiecrook.com> kirjoitti:

>From: Samuli Lintula
>
>>I care very much about disabilities and non-visual medias. Still, nothing
>>in the world changes the fact that in biology (for example) <i>, not
>>that there is no eqiuivalent to it in aural or braille media (that I know
>>of).
>
>Aural stylesheets do exist, but they aren't well supported.

I know very well that they exist. My point was: Not inside nor outside the WWW is there a
convention of how to speak certain biological terms. However, there is a very well
established convention to write them in italics and the way they look in visual media
passes on information about the word.

>>The way I see it, is that <i> would be a *context specific* scientific
>>(or non-scientific) special elelement whose presentation by convention
>>is italic. This is equivalent to the usege of <sup> in XHTML2.

>tag denotes emphasis which

I don't want to emphasize a bug or gene name. Just think how that would sound: "The S.
CEREVISIAE! gene DNAG! blah yada blah..."
EM            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60; richness: 50 }
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html

--
Samuli Lintula             @ http://www.samulilintula.net/
Department of Biochemistry @ University of Turku