Re: XHTML 2.0 and the href and src attributes

08.08.02 17:15:29, Chris Mannall <chris.mannall@hecubagames.com> wrote:

>To which Jonny Axelsson replied:
> >It would make the a element entirely redundant.

>This isn't strictly true; only the a element retains the hreflang, type,
>charset, rel, and rev attributes, all of which (arguably) add value. I'd
>especially lament the loss of 'rel' and 'rev' were a to be deleted
>entirely; although browser support for these attributes is limited (to
>put it politely), these attributes are potentially very useful. So the a
>element still has its place.

This functionality would part of any link, whether using a or some other
element. While I don't dispute the functionality of "rel", will you truly
lament the loss of "rev" or do you just think you might miss it? Personally
I don't think "rev" is useful, even potentially.

>In addition, in quickly checking up on the attributes named above, I
>believe I've come across an error in the spec; section 9.1 contains the
>following example:
>
>     <a name="anchor-one">This is the location of anchor one.</a>
>
>The name attribute isn't defined anywhere; and I'd rather it stay that
>way, since as has been mentioned the functionality of the above example
>can be achieved with the id attribute anyway.

You are right, this is in error, should be <a id="anchor-one">.

Jonny Axelsson
Documentation,
Opera software