Re: Fw: Recently published documents

Nicholas Atkinson wrote:
> That's interesting information Jonny, thank you.  I will look forward to
> that.  Very interesting.
>
> However, are you familiar with the expression "jam tomorrow"?!  ;-)
>
> Why can't the necessary declarations be added to XHTML 1.0 so that documents
> containing EMBED (and PARAM etc.) elements can be validated, *today*.
> [Given that the Object tag is not widely supported today, or on legacy
> browsers.]

The object element (used for for Flash integration) is at least
supported by Netscape 4.7+, IE 5+ and Opera 6.04 (tested on Win).

> It would take me approximately _five_ minutes to add the necessary
> declarations to XHTML 1.0.  If that.

I don't think that the XHTML 1.0 specification can be changed in that
way. It's not just an erratum to add an element with its attributes.

> The only practical option for an authoring tool creator/vendor who offers
> validation, today, is to bundle a DTD of their own construction which is a
> "superset" of the "official" XHTML 1.0 one (or to bundle the official one
> and wait for a flood of support calls!).   And bundling a superset one, as I
> see it, defeats the purpose of having a "common" DTD to validate against.

As I told you (in private mail), the HTML Specs are _not_ for legalizing
each and every element/attribute invented by some browser vendor just to
validate every tag soup document on the web. Documents should be written
according to the specs; not specs should be written according to documents.
--
Johannes Koch  . IT Developer
Pixelpark AG   . http://www.pixelpark.com