Re: Associating style sheets with XHTML documents via processing instruction?

Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com> writes:

> > I interpret it the following way:
> > A user agent which is capable of XHTML and XML, and which
> > interprets the stylesheet processing instruction for xml documents,
> > also must interpret the stylesheet processing instruction for xhtml
> > documents since xhtml documents are xml documents.
>
> I'd guess that if the XHTML is being sent as text/html, the UA should
> interpret the <link/> element(s), and if being sent as text/xml, the
> stylesheet PI(s).

I believe that the matter of what HTTP content type(s) may be used for
HTML documents under the XHTML specification is still under contest.

We need to avoid confusing HTTP content type definitions with SGML and
XML definitions of document instances served through HTTP.

It has always been the case that user agents are supposed to read
document type declarations.

While it is the case that if an XHTML instance is served as text/html
(as I think all XHTML should be), content providers need to be aware
of the impact on legacy user agents (and there are non-normative
guidelines for this), IMO an XML-aware user agent should go with an
XML stylesheet PI.

                                    -- Bill