RE: "alt" attribute required by XHTML 1.0

No, actually I think you are incorrect.  I'm 99% sure that the major
browsers will NOT display an empty tooltip with this:
alt=""

But I think some WILL display an empty tooltip if you do this:
alt=" "

You should be fine using alt="".  If I'm wrong about this, please let me
know which browser you've seen this behaviour with.

Thanks,
Peter Foti