RE: Expanding the HTML <link> Element

> From:	Dave Hodder [SMTP:dmh@dmh.org.uk]
>
> Parent
> First

	[DJW:]  Already covered.

> Author
	[DJW:]  This is REV=MADE, but dropped out of the spec, probably
	because it was ignored by all browser developers except
	Lynx.  It has since been replaced by Meta, probably because
	that use of Meta is simply a dump of the document info from
	MS Word and MS Word doesn't hyperling authors.
	[DJW:]
	The typical use is with a mailto: URL, in which case Lynx
	provides a single key command to email the author with comments
	on the page, including the page title and contents.  I think
	the definition was vague enough to allow the use of, say, an
	HTML resource as well.

	A key point is that it is no use adding features that the mass
	market browser developers don't consider worthwhile.  This applies
	to most of the existing Link types, which simply get simulated by
	unqualified links in the body of the document (another issue here is
	that the average author works in WYSIWYG mode, so is happy explictly
	goding a next button, but not with telling the browser what the
	Next link is and letting it create the button).

[DJW:]  Following text is required by my employer.  This
is not confidential, but does not necessarily represent my
employer's views, if any.

--
David Woolley
BTS Holdings Limited

Tel: +44 (0)20 8401 9000	Fax: +44 (0)20 8401 9100
http://www.bts.co.uk	      http://www.bureauexpress.com

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of the company. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender.