RE: How do you "add/include" tags to HTML?

> From:	Moazzam Ahmed [SMTP:moazzam@ahmed.net]
>
> for example, if I wanted to create a new IMG tag and call it <BIGIMG>
> which does
	[DJW:]  That example would probably fail because it would
	only differ in presentational aspects - the ideal is
	actually to use OBJECT.

> 1. where would I start to see if I can even add it

	You need to get to understand the basic philosophy of HTML;
	most people proposing new elements fail on this point as
	they fail to understand that HTML is not about the appearance
	of documents.  The vast majority of people involved with web
	sites use "HTML" to mean something rather different from HTML,
	and assume rather different objectives.

	You need to have a good understanding of what XML really
	is and how it is structured.

> 2. how do you actually CODE something into HTML? is it a process of
> defining the tag and then
> sending it to some HTML autority which makes all browser companies
> include it in the next version etc.?

	[DJW:]  You must be joking.  Most elements have
	been unilaterally defined by browser developers
	and W3C has had to do its best to clean up the mess.

	Getting browser developers to correctly implement HTML
	is only one step less difficult than getting authors to
	use it properly.

[DJW:]  I'd suggest that is very unlikely that you
would get anything added (except by being employed by
Microsoft and creating a faite accompli).

	However, I think there are basically three choices:

	- subscribe as a member of W3C and raise it privately;
	- get employed by Microsoft or Netscape (although
	  the latter have a policy of only implementing the
	  standards since NS6);
	- make a case for it on this list and see if anyone in
	  the above two categories picks up the idea.

	NB anything with intellectual property constraints is
	likely to be rejected early.