RE: XML problem

Not sure whether this will be an useful response, especially after Dave
pointed out that this is not the right forum, I just wanted to give some
quick information regarding XML support in different browsers as I am aware
of. I am usually just a viewer of this list but this XML discussion is
really pulling me in. After a long development history with XML and research
with browsers, I am almost confused as to what a browser should do to be
compatible with XML.

My understanding was
1) the browser's ability to understand, parse and show raw XML (some kind of
tree structure)
2) when provided with an xsl-stylesheet directive, load XSL, combine XML &
XSL and produce the resulting HTML for the browser to show the user.
3) providing script access to read, modify the contents of the xml file
loaded, preferably with options to post back to the server.

IE, from version 5.0 onwards supports XML fully for the above functionality
(but not XSL specification completely). 5.5 is comparatively better,
supporting both XSL & XSLT (with still lack of few tags in XSL). We have
designed a complicated web site, with all the interactions between the
server and browser being in XML & XSL data, has been running without any
problem for more than 6 months, with significant performance improvement
compared to a native HTML/JavaScript based web app.

Microsoft has a complete XML SDK (V 3.0, the latest) which ships with IE 5.5
(IE 5 - V2.5) which can be used in scripting both in the server side and the
client side and lets you create really powerful applications, compared to
using HTML+DHTML+JavaScript and ServerSide scripting. This SDK is what is
used by IE to interact with XML/XSL/XSLT documents.

I could not even get Netscape/Mozilla to recognize the tags and show
properly with the xml and definitely not understanding XML+XSL
transformations. Frankly I don't understand even the basics of what Netscape
or Mozilla can help anyone with XML programming. I have attached two files,
test.xml & test.xsl, two simple files, you can open any of these in IE and
you will see what it does. Try the same with Netscape & Mozilla and please
let me know how to get it work in the later as, if it is possible, we would
program more in XML+XSL in multi-browser scenarios.

Thanks
Gowri.