From: Vix [mailto:vixcc@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 6:13 PM
To: Hoyt, Phil; www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: anchors

Phil,

I think that the Spec is clear about that.
A BASE href is meant to be the basis for all HREFs without a BASE explicitly
declared in their
HREF section.

Thus, having the tag <a href="#top">, with a BASE
HREF="http://www.url.com/", this means that the
anchor must be appended to the BASE in this case. This ends up as:
http://www.url.com/#top

So far was only meant to discuss the SPEC part.
Going back to being able to specify #anchors inside your document, there are
TWO ways that I know
of, even if you're using BASE hrefs.

1- Have the URL explicitly declared with the anchor. <a
href="http://thisfile.com/#top">link
here</a?

2- Use a javascript function to fill in the Document.location at run-time if
you don't know the
file name or if you are afraid that the file name might be changed without
the HREF updated as
well.

I hope the above helps.

Best regards,