Re: ISO HTML and headings

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> Due to this constraints, other block-level elements cannot be used
> as parents of H1 through H6.
>
> As you may guess, this constraints have "side effect", e.g. you
> cannot use DIV to apply styles that cover a heading and its following
> section ... you may find another "side effect" in forms.

As well as in block quotations that quote other HTML documents containing
headings. Or in bilingual documents where one could use a table for
genuinely tabular data: a row consisting of headings (and I mean H1
through H6, not TH) in different languages, then rows consisting of
parallel texts etc.

The idea of forcing "true sectioning" into HTML without actually using
true sectioning markup seems to have lead to an absurdity.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html