Re: Registration of script MIME types

At 04:52p +0200 09/16/2000, Bjoern Hoehrmann didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:
>* "Stephanos Piperoglou" <stephanos@webreference.com> wrote:
>| I have no idea how to fix this, since it's basically a bug in IE.
>
>No. It's Netscapes fault not to register a MIME type for javascript and use
>application/x-javascript instead. The use of non-standard (as marked by the
>x-) MIME types in a world wide medium is strongly discouraged but Netscapes
>forces us to do so.

And they've been doing that since before JavaScript existed.
Example: charset=x-mac-roman in META tag.

>This problem will rearise, if ECMA does not register a correct MIME type for
>ecmascript.

Y'know, there really ought to be a "law" against using experimental
types in any software labeled as "final" (i.e., not dev/alpha/beta).
How long does it take to get something registered? 2 months? 2 years?
How long did it take circa Netscape 1.0?

-Walter