RE: Download question

> From:	Pawel S. Veselov [SMTP:vps@phoenix.math.spbu.ru]
>
> You need a cgi script like that:
>
> This script can also determine whether the file should be sent or not
> and what file to send.
[DJW:]
This only hides the locl file name.

My guess is that the questioner is trying to achieve
security by obscurity in terms of only allowing access
to a file to authorised users, or those who have
completed a demographics forms.

It's also possible, but I suspect unlikely, that this is
being done because the file is large and they want to
benefit from public caching proxies.

What they probably don't want is people publishing deep
links to the actual file.

E.g. one travel company I know has PDF itineries, but
expects one to provide name, address etc, before seeing them.
However, the filenames are derivable from the tour code and
once you know one, you can bypass the form for the others.
I suspect the questioner wants to stop this sort of thing
happening.