From: Daniel Acton [mailto:dacton@itouch.co.za]
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 9:09 AM
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: RE: A query please

> Many people don't believe in the original spirit and
> simply hack together something that appears to do what
> they want on IE5, then tweak it until it doesn't
> completely break on the other browsers they think are
> in common use.
> --

Which is never a good thing. I think it's better to start developing on a
browser that is strict, like netscape navigator. And after that, test the
code on ie. IE allows for much more little errors, like not closing
tables, etc, etc, whereas netscape doesn't. When it comes to layers, the
browser differences really become evident, which is why people are finding
external objects like flash movies better. This isn't very good, because
if people are moving away from using html to do the work, then obviously
the browsers aren't doing their jobs well enough. I'd like to see two
browsers made by two different manufacturers producing the same output
from the _same_ code... A pipe dream? I wonder ...?

imho.
dan