Re: HTML 4.01 Strict DTD missing an important attribute

At 4:02 pm -0400 5/5/00, Jerry Baker wrote:

>Is there a reason that the HTML 4.01 Strict DTD does not have "target"
>in the ATTRLIST for "A"? It seems as though someone wishing to create an
>HTML 4.01 strict document does not have any way to specify a target for
>an individual link.

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place.  I append an example from
the official tutorial and if you look at

/struct/links.html#h-12.2

you will not find 'target' listed as an attribute specific to A
because it is among...

Attributes defined elsewhere

*	id, class (document-wide identifiers)
*	lang (language information), dir (text direction)
*	title (element title)
*	style (inline style information )
*	shape and coords (image maps)
*	onfocus, onblur, onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup,
onmouseover, onmousemove, onmouseout, onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup
(intrinsic events )
*	target (target frame information)
*	tabindex (tabbing navigation)
*	accesskey (access keys)

JD

_____

This example illustrates how targets allow the dynamic modification
of a frame's contents. First we define a frameset in the document
frameset.html, shown here:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>A frameset document</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET rows="50%,50%">
    <FRAME name="fixed" src="init_fixed.html">
    <FRAME name="dynamic" src="init_dynamic.html">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

Then, in init_dynamic.html, we link to the frame named "dynamic".

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>A document with anchors with specific targets</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
...beginning of the document...
<P>Now you may advance to
     <A href="slide2.html" target="dynamic">slide 2.</A>
...more document...
<P>You're doing great. Now on to
     <A href="slide3.html" target="dynamic">slide 3.</A>
</BODY>
</HTML>