Re: SM

At 10:34a -0400 05/03/00, Joe Kaczmarek didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:
>Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>  >
>  > At 04:05p -0400 05/02/00, Joe Kaczmarek didst inscribe upon an
>  > electronic papyrus:
>  > >Is "sm" an entity as "tm" (™) is?
>  > >If not, will it be?
>  >
>  > Two things:
>  >
>  >    1. ™ is not an entity. It's not even valid HTML. (It's MS-Windows.)
>  >       The HTML entity for TM is "™"
>
>™ may not be valid, but I've created for myself an HTML page which
>displays � through Ā so that I can actually see which character
>is displayed. I use both a Macintosh and a PC to test sites for that
>audience, and whether or not ™ is valid,

That is only due to the "be liberal in what you accept" thing which
software developers often follow. Code point 153 for TM exists ONLY,
ONLY in Windows character sets. It does not exist in ISO-8859-1, nor
in Unicode (which is a superset of ISO-8859-1). To use 153 on the web
is to kiss Bill Gates' butt, and there is no reason to do so.

>it works on both whereas
>™ does not work (and displays as "™") on the Mac.

Are you kidding? ™ has worked on my Mac for the past 5 years.
It worked in early versions of Netscape, and it works in MSIE. What
browser/version are you testing with?

>And making
>sure that people in my audience see "TM" and not "™" is more
>important to me.

In that case, try <SMALL><SUP>TM</SUP></SMALL>.

>  >
>  >    2. You can do SM using Unicode. See this page on my web site:
>  >       <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>
>
>&#8480; does not display "SM" on either the Macintosh or the PC. If
>displaying these Unicode characters takes some extra declaration such as

Nope, but it would require a Unicode font, and very few users have one.
That's life, I guess!

><META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=EUC-JP">
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#spec-char-encoding), then
>what do I need to declare for Unicode characters so that &#8480; will
>display "SM". (NOTE: I can and have spent hours and days following links
>in complete circles at W3C anytime I try to find an answer to a simple
>question of "what should I use").

Hehe, yeah I know how that goes!

-Walter